11 September 2011

Trondheim Half Marathon

So I should really follow up on my most recent post now that the Trondheim half marathon was a full week ago and I don't want anybody thinking it did me in. Needless to say, I survived the race. At the start of the race we had some of the warmest weather I've experience here in Trondheim, which was admittedly still cool enough to be awesome running weather. But of course we needed to have a little rain during the race in order to be sure we were still in Trondheim, where weather is predictably unpredictable. The course was two laps of the same loop that started in the city center and wound around along the river and through the city.  Somebody clearly put a lot of effort into designing the course so that would remain fairly flat despite the city being pretty hilly in general. Thank you mystery person: I am grateful. Also, you know a race is too legit to quit when they organize pop-rock aerobics for warming up.

During this race I learned that the Norwegian expression for encouraging runners is "hei ja" or something like that. I started laughing when first I heard this because it sounded a lot like the Chinese expression "aiya!" which roughly translates to "doh!" and is used to convey frustration. Funny? You don't even know. This kept my simple mind amused for much of the race.

I finished in a time of 1:36:34 which I'm certainly satisfied with considering how little training I did beforehand. I ran slightly positive splits from the first lap to the second, and by the end I was really starting to feel tired. I'm not exactly sure what kind of fatigue, but you can probably find the answer at my friend's running blog. After the race I got some pictures, including the one shown here with Hilde, one of the other members of NTNUI Friidrett. She was really fast. When I got back to my housing village one of the people I live with pointed out that my finisher medal looked cheap. He's right. But considering the median result of my previous races has been obtaining nothing but my own sense of accomplishment, I think I'll gladly accept a cheap medal as an added bonus.

So, yeah. I successfully ran my first official half marathon coming off of a month of near-inactivity. I wouldn't recommend it, but I definitely don't regret it.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I love your blog! And the right term for encouragement here in Norway is "heia", which really don't translates into anything sensible, it's purely, well, encouragement =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the clarification, Katja! I was wondering how to spell it. Another example of why you are an awesome Norwegian buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Mike! I ran the 5.26 mile loop this morning in a relatively slow time compared to 12 years ago, so I know your time was really fast. I wish that I had done more running or Nordic Track skiing over the past couple of years, but one nice thing about running is that if you can still run at all, you can become faster and stronger and more independent and you have control of that outcome. Running is good for your health, and lifts your spirits. Running is to a person as flying is to a soaring bird. Keep it up!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete