05 January 2012

Lysefjorden


So. Yeah. I really don't know what to say for myself. It's been over two months since I last even looked at my blog. I guess I was pretty dedicated to No-post November (I may have made up this idea). Then the end of the semester came along to occupy me with exams (okay, really I just wanted to have fun before everybody went home for Christmas/forever). So, my loyal readers who totally still exist must be getting anxious for some new posts. I'll try to pop out a few before the start of the next semester in an attempt to catch up. Here we go.

Way back on the last weekend in October I took a trip to Lysefjorden in southwest Norway with a couple of Minnesotan friends that I met here. Kristin did her undergrad at Gustavus Adolphus, and Xiao Jing is finishing up at St. Olaf. This situation holds endless potential for jokes starting out, "Ole, Gusty, and Carl walk into a bar…" But I will refrain from the terrible punchlines. We flew into Stavanger, located on Lysefjorden. I think that translates to the bright fjord. Maybe.
Xiao Jing, Kristin, and me at a lake near Lysefjorden.
Seeing as Stavanger is the oil capital of Norway, we made sure to check out the Petroleum Museum for an informative video in 3D (I sadly fell asleep during it) and some always exciting coloring.
Xiao Jing deep in her art. Krissy channels her inner kindergartener. I think the playground in the background really adds something.

We then dressed up in some orange suits that were used for… well I didn't read the sign, so I don't really know what they were for. Clearly I learned a lot and got my money's worth.
I am wearing 3D glasses so I can see everything underwater in more detail. Xiao Jing is wearing prescription glasses so she can see.

After the museum we found a ghetto playground just outside and decided to join in the fun. The most interesting parts were giant pipes and giant salmon eggs, as well as the ever-present graffiti. Because, you know, kids love giant pipes and spray paint drawings that almost rival their own artistic ability.

Note the hat peeking out of the lower left corner. Hmm...


Oh! It turns out it's just a little kid. And a bonus little creeper on the right.
"Surprise!" Just ten feet away we have a random pipe.

"Michael, you're doing it wrong."
Next we walked around the city harassing the various statues.
"I can has pony?"

"I can has duck?"

"Vi can has giant furry hat?"

We then drove and took a ferry to the Preikestolen Hostel and Hotel. 
The scenic route along Lysefjorden was the only option.

The view of the lake (not the fjord) was awesome from the hostel bathroom window. 
This what you see when you go pee pee.

The next morning we did the obligatory hike up to Preikestolen, which is a giant cliff hanging over Lysefjorden. When we finally made it to the famous landmark, we saw people taking pictures sitting on the edge of the cliff. Peer pressure always works, so we took some pictures with our feet dangling over the edge as well.
"Look, Ma. No hands!"
 I crawled on my stomach up to the edge of the cliff, because I wanted to look cool and not because I am terrified of heights.
So this photo was staged. Still, the expression is genuine and priceless.
Preikestolen from a little higher up.


And a little higher up.
I don't think my parents have seen these pictures yet, so SURPRISE!

After we got back, I decided I wanted to go swimming in the lake. It was cold, but not as cold as the lake in Estenstadmarka (previous post). I am scared of lake monsters, so I didn't stay in very long or go much farther than where I could no longer touch the bottom.
Thrilled. Clearly. For some reason this expression didn't convince Xiao Jing and Krissy to join.

Michael: 1, Lake Monsters: 0.
That day we received a free upgrade from the hostel/cabin to the hotel because it was the end of the season. Score! Even without the upgrade, I would recommend this place for the tasty breakfast buffet, awesome view, and convenient location for hiking to Preikestolen.
Gratuitous morning shot.
We splurged on dinner that night and ate in the hotel restaurant. That night they were serving wild sheep with gnocchi and beets or something fancy like that. Kristin was somewhat put off because the meat was rare and bloody when cutting it. At first I also was like… but then I was om nam nam!
"Don't mind me. I'm just being classy."
The next morning we went for a short hike along the lake before starting the drive back to Stavanger. We stopped before we got to the ferry so we could put our feet into the fjord water.
Not a bad place to live.

It felt like any other water.
We then bummed around the city waiting for our flight back to Trondheim. Since it was Sunday, not much was open. (Can I end on that note? I have no concluding remarks to make.)

1 comment:

  1. Your description of the Bloody Steak Encounter serves as a severely profound insight into an American's gastronomic proclivities when presented with exotic and surreal flavors and textures, as well as into your sincere perspective on the human condition. For this, I salute you, valiant forager of the Great North.

    ReplyDelete